Getting Back in Shape: I’m Getting Back on Track after the Holidays
After all the festive meals are done, I’m starting the year off with a detox to get back in shape! Let’s go! I transformed my living room into a fitness studio and turned the music up full blast to do the 5 cardio exercises offered by the #ProFormTeam.
I Reset with Clean Eating at the Beginning of the Year!
New year, new goals. In order to make up for indulging during the holidays, I’m tracking what I eat and tidying up my fridge and cupboards to keep only what’s good for me:
- Water, herbal teas and natural fruit juices for hydration and essential vitamins.
- Wholegrain cereal bars, almonds and dried fruit for small snacks.
- An app to track what I eat, remind me to drink water and find healthy recipes.
- Sleep hygiene and other good habits.
Advice from the #ProFormTeam:
Don’t hide your dark chocolate bar too far away! Full of magnesium, it’s your best anti-stress ally. Have one square at a time to spoil yourself with a clear conscience.
My Personalised Detox and Cardio Programme
To get back in shape after the holidays, I include cardio exercises in my routines that are easy to do without equipment and in the comfort of my own home. They are perfect for working the lungs, building muscle and eliminating fat and toxins.
5 Essential Cardio Exercises to Start the Year Right
We share with you our 5 favourite cardio exercises:
- High Knees: Standing with my feet slightly apart, I raise my knees one after the other up to my chest for cardio that works both my legs and abs.
- Jumping Jacks: With my feet together, I jump with my legs apart and raise my arms to strengthen my thighs and buttocks.
- Squats: These classic movements involve the whole lower body. Standing with a straight back, legs stretched out and feet in line with my shoulders, I look ahead, crouch with my arms outstretched while keeping my back straight, then stand up by pushing into my heels.
- To get a toned tummy and strengthen my abs, I’m choosing crunches! Lying on my back, knees bent, feet flat and spread out the width of my pelvis and hands behind my head, I slowly raise my head and shoulders while exhaling and then inhaling as I lower back down.
- Focus on the abs with mountain climbers. The starting position is similar to that of a press-up. I bring my knees up towards my chest one after the other without lifting the buttocks, similar to as if I were going to climb up a mountain.
Advice from the #ProFormTeam:
As usual, no pressure: Aim for 30 seconds per exercise in the first stage and gradually increase the duration of each session according to your progress. For the first few days, remember to take a day’s break between two training sessions. With practice and a few stretches, you’ll soon say goodbye to aches and pains! Would you like to follow along with the exercises on video? Make an appointment on iFit® to see how our coaches perform them and benefit from their advice.
A 30-day Training Circuit to Diversify Your Workouts
Once the 5 exercises have been mastered, it’s time to arrange the sessions into a training circuit! The technique is easy to understand: I start with 30 seconds of activity, followed by 30 seconds of recovery. As soon as I feel comfortable, I increase the duration or intensity of each session just a little bit. Are you ready for the next 30 days?
- During the first 5 days, I go slowly with 1 series of 30 seconds for each exercise: Knee lifts, jumping jacks, squats, crunches and mountain climbers.
- After a day of rest, I move onto 2 sets of each exercise. Nothing prevents me from adjusting the length of the sets to target a specific goal: 15 more crunches for solid abs, 10 more squats for buttocks of steel, 5 fewer mountain climbers because… well, there’s no pressure; after all, I’m the coach!
- During week 3, I begin more advanced workouts. For example, 90 seconds per exercise.
- In week 4, switch to 2 minutes per exercise.
After 30 days, the cardio detox challenge is complete! I’m already at 10 minutes of cardio training per day!
5 Tips for Getting Back in Shape from the #ProFormTeam
Print out our 5 golden rules to get back in shape after the holidays (or whenever you want to!):
- Include fruit and vegetables on your plate and opt for fish.
- Consider drinking green tea without sugar, maté, herbal detox tea, water and other sugar-free drinks.
- Schedule your workouts and track them in your logbook.
- Talk to family and friends about your detox and fitness journey: Whether they support you or join you, there’s nothing to lose!
Stop the pressure: Rather than the numbers on the scale, I watch my figure tone up and keep my spirits high!